Friday, August 16, 2013

Sewing in a small space

This year we moved from the suburbs to a smaller townhouse in the city. My sewing room went from a whole bedroom to a super small room that's about 8 feet by 10 feet!  With some careful planning, lots of studying and designing exactly what I needed, plus some awesome work by our builder's carpenter - I now have the perfect room.

Here is where we started: before pic.

So now, here is the after pic.  Everything fits perfectly.
I made the shade myself (with a lot of help from the husband - he did all the "gluing"). The purple fabric is echino brand, from Japan.  The amazing sewing machine pictured here is my new +Bernina 820. I bought an extra wide ironing board from WalMart. And the crazy purple shag rug was a must have!

The cutting table was carefully designed to my specs - had to ensure there was enough room to cut and plan out my quilts. Plus, the height is perfect for me - no more leaning over a regular cutting table.  I had a full-length shelf installed directly under the cutting table so I can work on more than one project at a time and store the other one safely in the shelf without disturbing it.

To work in a space this small, you have to be super organized. And every time you use a tool, you have to put it right back. Otherwise you'll have no room to work. The husband installed this peg board for me! Even the phone is useful for holding quilting hoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment